With the IDS-Industrial Community (IDS-I), IDSA strengthens its competences in industrial production and streamlines its offers for smart manufacturing ecosystems. Industrial and academic members of the Platform Industrie 4.0 provide the core of this new community, however, many other national, European and Asian partners have joined. They pursued the objective to mirror the demands for data sovereignty in industrial production with the current IDS concepts and technologies and to drive a roadmap for future work within the IDS-I Community.
“The huge response was impressive. Furthermore, the depth of the discussion and the enduring interest throughout the whole meeting. This was a great kick-start for a vital community – I am looking forward to see IDS-I flourish”, says Lars Nagel, CEO of IDSA.
Mission to enable design, set-up and operation of IDS
IDSA aims to guarantee data sovereignty by an open, vendor-independent architecture for a peer-to-peer network which provides usage control of data from all domains. The IDS-I is a further community of the IDSA. It will map and adapt the IDS principles and technologies to the application domain of industrial production. These important activities and even more are stated in the IDS-I mission statement, which was created during the Kick-Off Meeting.
The mission of the IDS-Industrial Community is to enable the design, set-up and operation of International Data Spaces tailored to the needs of the application domain of industrial production resp. smart manufacturing.
The mission comprises the following topics:
- To gather requirements on data sovereignty incl. data sharing, data usage monitoring and control as well as data provenance tracking by means of representative use case specifications.
- To map these requirements systematically to the standards, capabilities and recommended technologies of the International Data Spaces Association (IDSA) and the Platform Industrie 4.0 (PI4.0).
- To derive profiles of IDSA/PI4.0 specifications that support the requirements in industrial business eco-systems on the basis of standards and by means of common governance models.
- To validate and demonstrate the applicability of these specifications by means of reference testbeds, e.g. the IIC Testbed Smart Factory Web, and/or GAIA-X use cases.
- To contribute to the outreach of the IDS architecture and specifications to the community of industrial production and smart manufacturing.
“The widespread adoption of the IDS-I mission statement represents the broad and demanding spectrum of expectations by the IDS-I participants. The profound expertise and input of the participants will ensure that the value proposition of IDS will be made visible for the industrial community, however, interoperability with Industrie 4.0 specifications will remain a key success factor.”, states Dr.-Ing. Thomas Usländer, Head of Department Information Management and Production Control at Fraunhofer IOSB, Germany and elected co-chair of the IDS-I Community.
Strengthening the cooperation
The IDS-I Community will strengthen the link between IDSA and the Platform Industrie 4.0 as well as the Industrial Internet Consortium and formal liaison partners in the industrial sector, such as the Robot Revolution Initiative, the Industrial Value Chain Initiative, the Data Trading Alliance and the OPC-Foundation.
“With this community the industry gets the opportunity to exchange ideas on existing concepts and to develop new ones tailored to their needs. I invite everyone to participate and make IDS-based solutions applicable”, says Andreas Teuscher, Chief Information Security Officer at SICK AG and elected co-chair of the IDS-I Community.
Further interested IDS-I participants are welcome. Just send an e-mail “register IDS-I” to email@example.com.
The International Data Spaces (IDS) are a peer-to-peer network, a virtual data space that supports the secure exchange and the simple linking of data in business eco-systems on the basis of standards and by means of common governance models. IDS is managed by the International Data Spaces Association, a European non-profit association with currently more than 100 members from numerous industries, ICT and research across 20 countries, predominantly European.
International Data Spaces e. V.
Telefon: +49 (231) 70096-501
Senior Communications Manager